So, how fast can you type? The simple typing test
calculator below will calculate your speed (words per minute).
Try it! It's fun, but if you're serious about improving your keyboarding skills,
check out the typing software recommendations below. Plus I've added a
few simple tips.
Do you have a website? Spice it up by adding this same typing test directly to any of your
webpages, for free! Your site visitors will love it. Most people can't resist trying it out
(often multiple times, or every time they visit, to see if their speed has improved!).
Click here to get the module for your website.
How typing tests are calculated
The most important and basic score is "words per minute", or "wpm" for short.
Often, this is a corrected score, where each error made during the test reduces the "words per minute" by one.
Another common score is an accuracy percentage -- which is simply the number of words you got right
compared to how many you typed.
For instance, 90% accuracy means you averaged 9 out of 10 words right.
Take The Typing Test
Please note that this module gives a straight words per minute score
(meaning it is not "accuracy adjusted").
Tip: Click the Next button to try another sentence. Refresh this page to load a new set of test sentences.
Here are a some basic tips, summarized from various typing tutorials and lessons.
These tips are useful for taking tests as well as everyday keyboarding:
- Tap on each key crisply but lightly. If you use minimum force (don't bang on the keys), your fingers will move faster.
- Type as quickly as you are able, but don't "try" too hard or force your speed or you'll make many mistakes.
- Use proper posture, sit upright.
- Keyboard/monitor positioning: your wrist, elbows and keyboard should be on the same horizontal plane, and at a 90 degree angle to your upper arms.
- The top of your screen should be near eye level.
- Stretch your wrists and fingers before starting a typing test (don't laugh, it does help!).
Without doubt, the best way to gain speed is by using typing software.
In looking around the web, I've come across some good programs.
Everyone has their own opinion, but I personally really like the first two listed here.
You could learn to type up to 4 times faster using professional touch-typing techniques.
You will often notice a difference almost immediately.
- well known around the web, has gotten great reviews from users, and includes typing games.
The company has several versions to choose from, along with an advanced free typing test.
- Best choice for kids! Kids learn to type by playing a fun treasure hunt game with "Captain Forty" and typing skill is
learned automatically along the way.
Key Advantage Typing
- received 4 stars from Cnet review editors, and it works on Macintosh as well as Windows
You can find more speed-typing information by looking on the search engines.
Please also check back or bookmark this site so you won't miss any updates to this page.
We can notify you of any updates to the typing module here
Feel free to contact us if you have any suggestions.